Free Online Ordination

These are some of the most amazing stories about what a great job our Universal Life Church ministers are doing. These are stories of why they became ordained, the courses they've taken, and the great things they are doing with their ministries.

Friday, March 04, 2011

Why I Became Ordained



Storybook project
For Jo Anne and Robert Mauck going to prison has been one of the most fulfilling experiences of their lives.
Granted, the Maucks weren't behind bars for committing a crime. The members of Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Damascus, MD., have been volunteering with The Community of St. Dysmas, a congregation within the Maryland correctional system. St. Dysmas held its first services in the state's Correctional Institution for Women in 1985. The Maucks attended their first service in 1989. And earlier this year, Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich honored their volunteer efforts with a certificate of appreciation.
"I will never forget the date we first went because it was my birthday," JoAnne said. "My husband said, 'You don't want to go down there today.' But I said, 'I think God wants me to skip this dinner and do this instead.' "
From that first visit, the Maucks knew that this was a calling for them. "This work is mandated in Matthew 25," Robert said. "As well as directing us to visit those in prison, it says, 'Just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did to me.' That's exactly how I feel."
JoAnne concurred: "If I hadn't been lucky enough to have family reach out to me when I was young, I don't know where I would be today. There but for the grace of God go I. So I try to offer the same kind of help. And the truth is I have learned so much from these women."
After weekly services, the Maucks visit with the prisoners. They also help lead Bible study classes and offer to help inmates find a church when
released.
Robert, who has served on the Prison Congregations of America advisory board for 10 years now, said the recidivism rate for inmates involved in this type of ministry is only one-quarter as much as those who don't.
"Just being there and talking to them, it helps so much," JoAnne said. "It's important to show that there are people who care."
To learn more about The Community of St. Dysmas, call (410) 233-7897


*******************************
The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

The Universal Life Church offers handfasting ceremonies, funeral ceremonies and free minister training
 
As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge selection of Universal Life Church  minister supplies. Since being ordained with the Universal Life Church for so many years and it's Seminary since the beginning, I've watch the huge change and growth that has continued to happen.
Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: